Inches from a win on climate, prescription drugs, and fairer taxing
We are crossing our fingers. We are knocking on every wooden surface within reach. But, most of all, we are celebrating — the Senate passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 on Sunday.
The bill now moves on to the House where we need your Member of Congress to assure its passage, but importantly, this bill is on track to be a historic achievement for activists and progressives across the country (*knocks on wood again*).
After a year of countless negotiations led in good-faith by (most) Democrats and marred by Republican obstructionism, passage in the Senate all but guarantees that this progressive agenda will become a new baseline for American life: A roughly 40% reduction in emissions by 2030, 6 million estimated jobs added over 10 years, the authority for Medicare to negotiate some drug prices, continued savings on premiums for folks on the ACA marketplace, an excise tax on stock buybacks, and a 15% corporate minimum tax are included among other things.
This is undoubtedly progressive policy. It is the largest investment in climate infrastructure in our nation’s history and it will drastically lower health care costs for millions of Americans.
The leadership of Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer was invaluable in this fight. His indefatigable drive to continue coming back to the table ensured that a bill centered around lowering costs for families passed through the Senate cleanly without any poison pill Republican amendments to peel away a razor thin Democratic majority.
But, most of all, the work of getting this almost to the finish line belongs to activists like you.
It has been a year of phone calls, a year of Letters to the Editor, and a year of Soapboxx appeals. It’s been a year of bird-dogging, showing up at your reps’ offices, and staging protests. It has been a year of continued effort by activists on the ground to get us where we are today. You brought us to this moment:
One. More. Vote.
Friday, the House will take up a vote on the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. Let them know we need to get this across the finish line! We are so close. Now is not the time to falter. Let’s finish strong.
With that, here are your weekly to-dos:
Your 5 weekly to-dos
- Click here to call your representative and tell them to pass the Inflation Reduction Act immediately. Sen. Schumer came through and delivered the Senate, now we need to help Speaker Pelosi deliver the House. We can not afford any small mistake or waffling representative to derail this historic legislation in its final moments. Call your representative today and let them know that they can make history this week, creating a brighter future for the United States and the world.
- Click here to call your senator and tell them to pass the Marriage Equality Act. Following the Dobbs decision, same-sex marriage is now on the chopping block for the Republican Supreme Court. Recently, Senate Republicans blocked passage of the Right to Contraception Act reminding us that our rights are not only in jeopardy, but Republicans will actively refuse to enshrine them into law without pressure. We cannot allow the MAGA-led rollback of our rights to continue — not while our senators have the power to intervene. Voting against the Marriage Equality Act would be wildly unpopular and put these politicians’ careers in jeopardy (which is why we saw some House Republicans vote with Democrats on it). Let’s make sure Republican senators know it too!
- Click here to call your senator and demand they pass the Markey Court Expansion Bill. Even as Democrats work to expand our rights, the threat of them being overturned by the Supreme Court looms large. We must expand the court after Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell conspired to pack it for generations to come. The only way to re-legitimize the court is to expand it. Contact your senator and, when you’re done, click here to contact your representative and tell them to pass Rep. Mondaire Jones’ House version of the bill.
- Click here to register to Give No Ground. The fight for our country’s future begins today. If we do not hold the House and achieve a real majority in the Senate, our plans to codify basic human rights will falter. To win, we must get the message out. Give No Ground is our home for opportunities to phonebank, textbank, canvass, postcard, and more so that when November comes around, we can say that we gave it our all for democracy. And, while you’re there, check out the new Give No Ground resource hub to dive into more information about the tools and tactics we’ll use to win in November.
- Do you live in a rural area? Click here to join our National Rural Program. We have special election resources and calls specifically for our rural Indivisibles where you can learn more about strategies and issues specific to Indivisibles living in rural areas. If you want an idea of what that looks like, click here to check out our agenda and notes from previous meetings.
The work of defending democracy continues with your help. In order to keep Give No Ground running and to fund all of the work we do here at Indivisible, click here to donate today.
Indivisible is proud to announce that we have voted to nationally endorse Rep. Katie Porter (CA-47), Rep. Sara Jacobs (CA-51), Josh Riley (NY-19), Ashley Ehasz (PA-01), John Fetterman (PA-Sen), Rep. Tom Malinowski (NJ-07), and Herb Jones (VA-01)!
We can’t say enough good things about this exceptional group — and we are going to need to put all of our support behind them to defeat the MAGA Republicans running across the state. Click here to see all of our endorsed candidates and learn more about our endorsements process.
Click here to register for Indivisible’s Deep Canvassing Phonebank for Matt Cartwright, John Fetterman, Andy Kim, Lauren Underwood, and Rev. Raphael Warnock on Tuesday, August 16th from 5pm-8pm ET/2pm-5pm PT. Deep canvassing is a proven method for persuading and moving voters to action even across ideological differences. In this year’s electoral deep canvassing phonebanks, we’re having open conversations about voters’ stake in abortion access and inviting them to act on their beliefs by voting for progressive candidates — and we’ve been moving around 10% of voters we talk to, a massive electorate shift especially in close races! Please note this is a 3hr event: you’ll receive a 1hr training on deep canvassing fundamentals, followed by a 2hr phonebank + debrief for the Eastern or Central Give No Ground candidate of your choice.
IndivisiWin of the Week
An Indivisible Mayday Group Leader drowning out counter protestors at a rally for abortion rights in Pennsylvania.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up on the latest information, and text “INDIVISIBLE” to 59798 to opt-in to our text messaging program where we send rapid response actions a few times a month.
We are just days from history. Let us do everything we can to make sure we can look back and say it happened rather than wondering what we could have done to stop it from falling apart. Call your representative today, next week we celebrate.