The State of the Union: Let’s finish the job!
Last night, President Biden delivered his second State of the Union address touting his work on the historic Inflation Reduction Act, affirming he’d veto a national abortion ban, and backing Republicans into a corner by making them boo their own heinous plans to hold hostage the debt ceiling in order to cut Medicare and Social Security (more on that later).
All in a day’s work after an incredible two years for Biden.
“We’re just getting started.”
When President Biden said those words, he had a laundry list of economic achievements from just the last two years to pull from:
- The creation of 12 million new jobs — more than any president has created in a four year term
- The biggest investment in climate in our nation’s history
- 20,000 infrastructure projects already funded under the IRA
- Making the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share in taxes
- Taking on Big Pharma to lower prescription drug costs for seniors on Medicare
- The fastest manufacturing job growth in over 40 years
- And so much more…
In spite of entering office on the heels of a lying megalomaniac who incited his followers to attempt an insurrection in the midst of a global pandemic with no clear end, Joe Biden has delivered at a remarkable rate.
Now, Republicans are putting so much of that progress — not to mention crucial programs Americans depend on for their survival — at risk. Biden addressed it head on:
Instead of making the wealthy pay their fair share, some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset… It means that if Congress doesn’t keep the programs the way they are they’d go away…
We’re not going to be moved into being threatened to default on the debt if we don’t respond…
We will not cut Social Security.
We will not cut Medicare.
Those benefits belong to the American people, they earned them.
And if anyone tries to cut Social Security…
And if anyone tries to cut Medicare, I will stop them.
I’ll veto it. I’m not going to allow them to be taken away.
Not only was he the fighter that we need at the head of the Democratic party, it was a savvy political move. Every time Biden mentioned the GOP’s plan to gut Medicare and Social Security, Republicans booed, signaling their desire to distance themselves from that idea. Biden pounced, “as we all apparently agree, Social Security and Medicare is off the books now. They’re not to be struck?”
With one line, he took Republican heckling and turned it into the tool of their own undoing, forcing them to either own up to their position on national television or face the American people as liars and hypocrites.
“Let’s finish the job.”
We all know MAGA Republicans aren’t afraid to go back on their word. So, it’s on us to make sure we keep up the heat and help Biden finish the job:
- If your representative is a Republican, call them and tell them they can’t use Social Security and Medicare to hold the debt ceiling hostage. No matter how much they tried to act appalled at Biden suggesting they are trying to attack Social Security and Medicare, we know that is their goal (here’s Mike Lee saying it, here’s Ron Johnson advocating to put them in limbo, and here’s Rick Scott advocating for a potential end to those programs every five years). But they know the idea is deeply unpopular among all Americans, including their base. Let’s remind them just how unpopular it is.
- If your representative is a Democrat, call them and tell them we need them to hold firm against any cuts to Social Security and Medicare in the debt ceiling fight! Biden has done the work of getting Republicans on record, on national television, denying that they will gut these vital programs. Let’s make sure our Democratic representatives continue to hold firm and fight against MAGA extremists holding the economy hostage. Republicans are in the hot seat; let’s remind our Democratic representatives to keep them there.
By invoking the debt ceiling fight, Biden reminded us that, in spite of his momentous achievements, there is still more to be done to get our country back on track. That work requires each of us to do our part.
In a final rebuke of MAGA extremism, Biden reminded us, “we must all speak out…and we must give hate and extremism in any form no safe harbor.”
This is the heart of the Indivisible movement — activists across the country using their voices to remind our representatives that hate and extremism have no home here. We are the people, united, fighting for a better future. Make a call today. Let’s finish the job.